For readers around the globe. :)

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Rescued

Okay, so I was crying before I was 40 pages in.
By 200 pages in, I was sobbing.
I actually had to stop reading to get a grip on myself.

Okay, so let me start with a little background.
Featured in the picture above is my senior rescue dog, Sophie.
She came to me from a man that was only feeding her a few times a week.
He had shaved her, but only half of her in attempt to get rid of her fleas.
She had hardly any teeth.
She shakes, she doesn't like loud noises, hates thunderstorms, and has incredibly sensitive paws (I mean hardly walks on grass and ice in the winter is COMPLETELY out of the question).
But she is by far the best thing in my life and I am so glad she came to me when she did.
We've been together almost 2 years now and she's nearly 10 years old. 
She's the sweetest pup in the entire world and I love her to pieces.

Okay, so for the book.
Rescued is about second-chance dogs who are given a new life. 
Most of these dogs have never felt love.
Most of these dogs have never had a home to call their own.
Most of these dogs were abused, left in shelters, or even worse, left in the streets to die alone.
I honestly cannot wrap my head around people so heartless to abuse dogs.
This book was about second chances and giving those dogs a home that cherished them.
It's about showing these dogs love and compassion.
It's about giving them a life they never expected.
It's about coaxing them out from underneath the coffee table and giving them a warm, comfortable play to lay their heads.
It's about exploring new territory and learning how to live with a rescue.
It's about becoming a dog mom (or dog dad) who experiences a new kind of love, a love like no other.

The satisfaction you get from rescuing a dog from their previous life and showing them what it means to have a family is something I never expected to experience. It has changed my life.
My Sophie girl, has shown me so much love and has taught me how to take care of another living being. She has always been my number one priority and will be for many years to come. 
We have grown up together these last couple of years and I have cherished every second of it.

I would love to hear all of your adoption stories and see pics of your precious pups.
I am HIGHLY recommending this book to anyone and everyone.

Biggest thanks to Penguins First Reads Program for hooking me up with an advanced copy.

Mark your calendars, Rescued hits shelves October 3rd!

Looking for other books by Peter Zheutlin?
Rescue Road
The Dog Went Over the Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment